Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Novel Pen Pal Assignment

703 Churchville Road


Bel Air, Maryland 21014

September 3, 2010

Dear Whitney,

My name is Adam B, and I liked reading about how you stood up to the loggers and saved the whole forest from being destroyed in the book Home, and Other Big, Fat Lies by Jill Wolfson. I am a student at the John Carroll School. I live in Churchville, Maryland, which is across the country from where you stayed in California. I had a great summer. One thing I did was that I went to Rehoboth Beach in Delaware and spent a week with my family and cousins. I also went to many baseball stadiums to support my favorite teams. In August, I went to the Air and Space Museum located right outside of Washington, D.C. Also on many days, I went to the pool to try and cool off from this summer’s blazing heat. So my summer was very fun and I enjoyed it.

In the book, I thought you were fearless and daring in just about every event in the book. It was like you knew how to handle every situation, no matter how important it was. You were able to stand up for yourself, especially at the end when you forcefully told the loggers to not tear down the forest. You were also very brave, even when you were moved to your twelfth foster home. You always maintained a positive attitude in every event and that is why you handled every situation with ease.

I thought Jill Wolfson’s writing style was pretty easy to comprehend because there were a lot of easy words. Also, none of words were difficult to understand for me. The author makes you out to be a little beast who can never do anything good in the world. But deep down, I know you actually care about others and have emotions. But overall, I thought the author’s writing style was very plain and bland , with very simple words.

I really want to know how you developed such a love for nature because all of a sudden in the book you always wanted to go in the forest. I didn’t know if you just wanted to relax there or you thought that it could be your new home. Also, what struck your mind when you said you were going to sit on the mother tree until the loggers left the forest? The loggers could have knocked the tree down and you could have gotten seriously injured.

Reading about your adventure really made me think about the issue of foster children. In your journey, it was like the foster children were just dumped into an area without respect. All foster children should be treated as a citizen of this country and should be respected. This book makes me think about how foster children can survive and how important they are to this world.

I know that you are pretty young so I know one day that you will receive this letter. For the future keep up your bravery and continue to keep a positive attitude. When you get upset, calm yourself first and then speak. Also, keep standing up for what is right. If you continue this, you will permanently be in a home in no time. I hope when you receive this, you will be in a place you call home.

Best Wishes,                                   

Adam B






                                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment