Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Final Review of Their Eyes Were Watching God

In the end, I found that reading Their Eyes Were Watching God provided me a first-hand experience of what the black life was all about in the 1930s. This novel helped me understand more about what exactly happened in the life of a black person and how they were affected by the white people in society. I thought that the dialect used in the novel was going to be very difficult to read as I went farther into the book, but the further I went, the more easier I could read the dialect and understand what the people were saying in the book. I was always hooked on to read the book every time something happened to one of Janie’s husbands because I wanted to know what would happen next. I thought that Janie evolved as a person throughout the book by the way she handled situations and by the way she guided her own life. I liked how Janie did not let anyone influence and mess up with her life and how she lived a full life with a couple of loving relationships. I thought that Janie was a pure leader during her life and she is a great role model for other readers reading this book. I really enjoyed the use of imagery because I could actually see the scenes in the book as clear pictures in my head. This made it much easier to follow along in the book and to clearly know what happened. The symbols used in the novel I thought made this book more realistic where it had more detail and meaning, making the book more interesting to read. In the short amount of time that Zora Neale Hurston had to write this book made the novel even better.  Some parts of the book though were very hard to follow along with or it was very difficult to analyze. Other parts were kind of boring and made me feel that there was useless text included. But most parts of the books were very well written and show the beautiful writing style of Zora Neale Hurston. Overall, I thought that the book was very well-written and portrayed the growth of Janie throughout the book exceptionally well. Some parts of the book were hard to follow along with but I could easily understand the context of each chapter. Their Eyes Were Watching God was a very good, informative book about the life of an African-American, but it is not the best book I have ever read. I would give it a rating of a 7.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment